Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Learning Conducive Classroom

From what I have seen in my job and at school, it is near impossible to create a perfect classroom. So, we as teachers need to be aware of how to get as close as possible.
It seems that the best classroom experiences come from a class with periodically changing cooperative learning groups and a trusting, respectful relationship between the students and the teacher. My personal experiences have come from these experiences: ones where I can trust that the teacher cares for our success in the class and overall learning and one where I can work with friends but also have an opportunity to meet new people.

Providing students with a chance for maintaining social interactions is a good way to help them be more confident in their abilities and provides a trust between the students that may aid in a confidence with asking for help or even helping clarify for someone else. Having a classroom provide a multitude of experiences for children is a great way to help give them the opportunities they may not have otherwise, especially since there are so many other economic or social factors, as well as different atmospheres in the children's home lives that affect their everyday routines. The classroom should be a place to secure these children in all their needs so their desires and ability to learn are at the maximum potential.
 
As far as the CSEL case study goes, I would first try a behavior sheet or some sort of small punishment for her acting out. This would be used as a tool basically just to let her and her parents know that her behavior in class is inappropriate and is distracting for her learning as well as her classmates. I would probably follow up the sheet with a phone call to parents just ensuring they received the letter and to gage my understanding of the help they are going to offer in this situation.
Assuming that did not work, I would try to rearrange groups and see if I had missed someone she could actually work with in previous attempts at reforming the groups. The next step would be to use the parents if they did seem to be interested in helping me solve the problem.
As my last resort, I would have to move her out of group work and have her by herself unless I could get her to communicate with me about what her problem is whether material, people, or just stubborness and see if we could come to a compromise on how she participated throughout the class.
Since everything we do is somehow based on previous experiences, I thought this article would be interesting if it was learning conducive classrooms in upper education.
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/jle/vol1.html

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa,

    Interesting approach to your case study. Would you talk to the student prior to the punishment, or would you do that first? It sounds like a mix of self-regulation (Social Cognitive) and negative punishment (Behaviorist). I will be interested to see how your intervention continuum grows/changes throughout the course of the semester as we add new information onto what we already know!

    ReplyDelete