Monday, February 18, 2013

PLE #5 Memory Processes

I really enjoyed having the presentations on memory functions last week. From what I learned about the specific processes I believe it will definitely inspire me to include different techniques during my lessons. I always learn better by using mnemonics and rehearsal, so I feel like there would be many students in my class that would benefit from that same type of learning. The decisions I would make based on what I've learned so far would be to both teach my students how to create mnemonics and also use my own examples throughout my lessons so that if some students can't think of one, maybe what I give them will help. I will also try my best to use the elaboration technique so that I can begin the processes of connecting old information to the new stuff we are learning. I think a word wall would be essential in any part of the memory process, either to recall the words that need work or to build better mnemonics with the words available.
Also, based on the time span for short and long term memory, I will be sure to somehow work in a review session as often as possible just to keep the basic ideas of the information fresh for the students. In order to help with this, I could see myself having an assignment for the students to create their own type of mnemonic so that their creative aspect for whatever the lesson may be will at least be one thing that maybe sticks with them.


Article on Mnemonics
Mnemonics Article

No comments:

Post a Comment