Implementing self-efficacy and self-regulation strategies could really benefit Lisa in the classroom. Because using self-efficacy encouragement is useful to students that are not having trouble in the classroom, this could be something that Lisa really needs to experience in order to participate in groups and be attentive in class. I would start out with the basic encouragement to build her confidence. If we allow her to work by herself and build her confidence in her individual work, then we could try telling her things like, "You've done so well by yourself, I'm sure you will do an even better job if you work with your friends." Even if it takes some positive or negative reinforcement along with the encouragement, with enough support it could work. I could also give her a chart to fill out that would allow her to write down what she liked or didn't like when working in a group, then allow her to pick her own group based on what she likes. This would allow her to regulate herself and what she likes, as long as she tries to participate in the group. We could have one-on-one meetings with Lisa after her group work and point out all the good things she did and contributed to the group and how she conducted herself. It is important to make sure that she realizes the benefits of her group work for her to gain the confidence built by an increased sense of self-efficacy.This article discusses the difference between high and low self-efficacy and how it affects student's work habits and their understanding of locus of control.
The article you posted talks a lot about how self-efficacy can improve with group collaboration. I think starting Lisa out individually is a great idea and I like how you mentioned saying something like, "I'm sure you would do an even better job if you work with your friends." This makes Lisa feel like she has value in the classroom.
ReplyDelete